Quotes are a perfect way to share human experiences. No matter who you are, or where you’re from, we can all take something away from these eloquent messages. Here are 23 awe-inspiring quotes from the universally acclaimed American animated television series, Avatar: The Last Airbender.
1. The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginningless time, darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light.
2. Revenge is like a two-headed rat-viper. While you watch your enemy go down, you’re being poisoned yourself.
3. If you want to be a bender, you have to let go of fear.
Uncle Iroh, Dragon of the West
4. Perfection and power are overrated.
5. Its time for you to look inward and begin asking yourself the big questions: Who are you? and What do you want?
6. It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale.
7. Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.
8. There’s nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is that you want from your life, and why.
9. You think you’re any different from me, or your friends, or this tree? If you listen hard enough, you can hear every living thing breathing together. You can feel everything growing. We’re all living together, even if most folks don’t act like it. We all have the same roots, and we are all branches of the same tree.
10. Without you, all my plans are suddenly possible. I have a vision for the future, Roku. – Firelord Sozin’s last words to Avatar Roku, and the beginning of the 100-year war
Katara, Last Waterbender of the Southern Tribe
11. No! I will never, ever turn my back on people who need me…
Mai, One-Girl Revolution
12. I guess you just don’t know people as well as you think you do. You miscalculated. I love Zuko… more than I fear you. – Mai confronting Princess Azula and essentially committing treason
13. Growing up with six sisters who looked exactly like me. It was like I didn’t even have my own name. I joined the circus because I was scared of spending the rest of my life as part of a matched set. At least I’m different now. Circus freak is a compliment!
14. No matter how things seem to change. Never forget who you are. – Ursa’s last words to her son, Prince Zuko.
15. It’s because they haven’t made up their minds. They’re waiting to see how this ends. I can see your whole history in your eyes. You were born with nothing so you’ve had to struggle, and connive, and claw your way to power. But true power, the divine right to rule, is something you’re born with. The fact is, they don’t know which one of us is going to be sitting on that throne and which one is going to be bowing down. But I know. And you know. – Princess Azula, The Coup of Ba Sing Se
16. You will learn respect. And suffering will be your teacher.
Jeong Jeong, The Deserter
17. Destiny? What would a boy know of destiny? If a fish lives its whole life in this river, does he know the river’s destiny? No! Only that it runs on and on out of his control. He may follow where it flows, but he cannot see the end. He cannot imagine the ocean.
Koh, The Face Stealer
18. Tui and La, the moon and ocean, have always circled each other in an eternal dance. They balance each other. Push and Pull. Life and Death. Good and Evil. Yin and Yang.
Wan Shi Tong, One Who Knows 10,000 Things
19. You think you’re the first person to believe their war was justified?! Countless others before you have come here, seeking weapons, weaknesses or battle strategies!
20. I’m gonna tell you something crazy. I never told this to anyone before. But honestly, I’m not sure I can remember what my mother looked like. It really seems like my whole life Katara’s been the one looking out for me. She’s always been the one that’s here. And now when I try to remember my mom, Katara’s face is the only face I can picture.
21. You have indeed felt a great loss. But love is a form of energy, and it swirls all around us. The Air Nomads’ love for you has not left this world. It is still inside of your heart, and is reborn in the form of new love.
23. Growing up, we were taught that the Fire Nation was the greatest civilization in history and somehow, the war was our way of sharing our greatness with the rest of the world. What an amazing lie that was! The people of the world are terrified by the Fire Nation! They don’t see our greatness – they hate us! And we deserve it. We’ve created an era of fear in the world. And if we don’t want the world to destroy itself, we need to replace it with an era of peace and kindness. – Prince Zuko, confronting his father, Firelord Ozai
Got an Avatar: The Last Airbender quote you like that I didn’t mention? Let me know in the comments!
Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of my favorite television shows of all time, and it influences a lot of my writing.
Definitely a show worth watching.